Project Objective: To positively identify and report on the Brunette.
Ship History: The Brunette was an 141 ft, 375 ton, iron barque built in 1859 at Deptford, Count of Kent (named the Pride of the West). In 1866 she was sold to Couper &Co and renamed the Brunette. By 1892 her sailing days were over and she was sold to McIlwraith McEacharn & Co to be used as a coal hulk.
After 54 years of service, the Brunette was scuttled in the ships’ graveyard in July 1913. At this time, she was owned by McIlwraith McEacharn & Co.
Project Status: On-water searches have discovered what we believe is the Brunette about 8nm south of Point Nepean in about 70m of sea water. Further dives are required in order to positively identify the ship.